In order to ensure that high school students’ learning experiences take place in a healthy and safe setting, the American School will carry out the following actions:
- Implement hygiene and physical distancing measures as well as enforce the use of face masks in closed spaces in order to reduce the risk of transmission;
- Face mask will need to be used during activities that take place within closed spaces, and when people cannot maintain a physical distance of at least one meter even while in open spaces.
- Face mask will be optional for afternnon outdoor athletic activities.
- Carry out virtual high-density assemblies, or face to face assemblies, following strict safety protocols;
- Continue to offer quality learning experiences, regardless of the circumstances;
- Continue to encourage the use of technology as a learning tool and so students should bring their own electronic devices to school.
We will foster:
- a culture of respect and mindfulness
- healthy and safe choices and behaviors
- students’ active participation
We will support:
- students’ mental, emotional, and physical health and well-being
- those who are experiencing challenging situations
- Class schedules and transition times will be staggered as a physical distancing measure.
- Crowding will be avoided in common areas and at all times.
- Cleaning and hygiene measures will be implemented.
- Air ventilation will be checked throughout the entire campus.
- Hand hygiene stations will be available throughout the entire campus.
Health and hygiene
- Teachers and support staff will be in charge of disinfecting their classrooms and materials.
- We will reinforce correct handwashing techniques and provide students with frequent opportunities to wash their hands. In addition to the restroom sinks, students will be able to use portable ones that will be located in different parts of the building.
- Each classroom will have a hand sanitizer dispenser and said dispensers can be found throughout the High School campus.
- Signage and staff will remind students of the procedures that must be implemented when one finds themselves in common areas, such as bathrooms and hallways.
- Our program and elective course options are meant to reflect students’ personal and academic interests. As such, reduced size groups will not always be possible.
- All classrooms and school spaces will be cleaned and disinfected regularly.
- Students are expected to follow physical distancing protocols.
- The door of 9 Poniente opens at 6:45 a.m. (for entry) and 2:45 p.m. (for exit).
- The door of 29 Sur opens at 7:20 a.m. (for entry) and 2:45 p.m. (for exit).
- Outside these hours, entry and exit will be through the 9 Poniente door.
- We recommend that parents send healthy food options that will cover students’ nutritional needs.
- Our cafeteria abide by strict hygiene, food preparation, and delivery standards. Furthermore, new procedures will speed up the food order and delivery processes.
High School Cafeteria
- Students are expected to abide by hygiene and physical distancing measures.
- Students can purchase food items in the cafeteria or use the Check-Eat app in order to place food orders and avoid the exchange of bills or coins. Cafeteria staff will return sanitized change in the case of cash purchases.
- Items available in the cafeteria will provide balanced food options that aim to encourage students to make healthy eating choices.
- There will be a line for order pick up. Physical Education and other teachers will be on hand to ensure that physical distancing measures are respected.
- Parents will not be allowed to deliver food to their teens and Rappi and Uber deliveries will not be accepted.
- Will stay home if they have COVID-19 or symptoms of respiratory disease.
- Wash their hands or a frequent basis.
- Must follow the physical distancing and hygiene protocols.